About Berkshire Community College
Berkshire Community College (BCC) has the distinction of being the first community college established in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Nestled in the scenic Berkshire hills, our nearly 2,000 students have access to a wide range of career and transfer programs on our newly-renovated campus. Occupying a scenic 180-acre property, just minutes from downtown Pittsfield, Massachusetts, BCC provides students from a broad range of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds with an intimate learning environment, small class sizes, and much opportunity for interaction with faculty. Berkshire County was home to many forward-thinking historic figures including, W.E.B. DuBois, Susan B. Anthony, and Elizabeth (Mumbet) Freeman, all of whom were pioneers of social justice. The Berkshires contain both rural and urban elements, combining a beautiful natural environment with world-class museums and other cultural opportunities. Pittsfield and Berkshire County continue to evolve, with immigrants from over 70 countries now calling the Berkshires their home. BCC seeks to recruit diverse employees who embrace, as well as demonstrate, a commitment to diversity and inclusion and whose experiences and perspectives model the opportunities and success derived from a college education.
Provides administrative support for all Human Resources activities, ensuring the smooth functioning and efficient operation of the Human Resources department, including but not limited to acting as receptionist, performing data entry, employee personnel file maintenance, and HR budget record keeping.
Receives direct supervision from the Director of Human Resources. Also receives direction from the Assistant Director of Human Resources for various projects and assignments as needed.
Detailed Statement of Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides administrative support for the Human Resources Department including, but not limited to: acting as the Human Resources receptionist, scheduling appointments, composing routine correspondence, preparing various HR documents and communications, retrieving information from and filing information in employee files, receiving and distributing office mail and packages, preparing documents for mailing, proofreading, formatting, filing, copying, and faxing.
- Assembles new hire packets and personnel files; prints labels for all files.
- Maintains currency of records and personnel files; files documents as needed; rotates and archives personnel files according to status and age.
- Enters accurate employee information into Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ compensation management system (HR/CMS) in a timely manner for new hires, for all applicable changes of status and employee separations, for adjusting leave accruals (e.g., sick bank adjustments in fall, vacation accruals, etc.), and as otherwise needed.
- Enters employee information into College’s relational database (Datatel) in a timely manner for new hires, for adjunct teaching appointments (each semester), and for all applicable changes of status.
- Performs and builds queries, retrieves data, and generates reports from the Commonwealth Information Warehouse system (CIW), HR/CMS, and Datatel as requested.
- Compiles, copies, and scans information for internal and external information requests.
- Proofreads and formats job postings and related material; publishes job postings as requested on the College’s applicant tracking system (Hirezon Interview Exchange), on the College website, in various print and online publications, and via communication to a network of Massachusetts community and state colleges; maintains complete records related to employee searches, including but not limited to the job description and posting, and pertinent information as to the search committee and process; and compiles and maintains data related to such searches as appropriate.
- Maintains and monitors schedule and records related to Conflict of Interest/Ethics training; prepares and sends related communications and reminders to employees; accounts for received and outstanding proof of completion of such training, and prepares a periodic report as to the same for submission to the Director of Human Resources.
- Prepares check requests, purchase orders, travel reimbursements, etc. for the HR office-related expenses; tracks and maintains accurate records related to the Human Resources budget and spending, including a spreadsheet detailing employee stipend payments, to be reviewed by the Director of Human Resources as requested.
- Uploads Human Resources forms (i.e., Authorization to Hire, Personnel Requisition, Change of Status), prepares and delivers form to appropriate parties for electronic signature in a timely manner, receives and appropriately handles and files signed forms.
- Processes and faxes tuition remission requests per office protocol.
- Prepares and distributes annual memos (e.g., Essential Employee memo) to appropriate employees and documents in a report as well as in applicable personnel files, as appropriate and necessary.
- Maintains current listing of campus phone/office directory and distributes to college campus.
- Maintains accuracy and currency of HR information on the College’s webpage.
- Maintains and monitors AFSCME, MCCC and non-unit evaluation schedule; prepares and sends related communications and reminders to employees and supervisors; accounts for received and outstanding evaluations, and prepares a monthly report as to each employee group for submission to the Director of Human Resources.
- Explains provisions and contents of various HR documents, policies, and procedures to employees and others, and answers related inquiries; and confers with HR staff regarding HR process improvements.
- Assists with employee event planning, including the Employee Recognition Dinner and new employee events, and Coordinates COMECC campaigns as necessary.
- Related duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess at least three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience working as part of a team in an office environment, preferably in a human resources office. Associate’s degree preferred. Further qualifications include: Experience applying complex, administrative skills in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, detailed-oriented office environment, preferably in a Human Resources setting; ability to follow written and oral instructions, to prioritize assignments, to meet deadlines, and to demonstrate accuracy and attention to detail in discharging duties; strong interpersonal skills; ability to work independently as well as part of a team; familiarity with, or willingness and ability to become familiar with, the laws, rules, policies, and procedures governing HR activities. In addition, the successful candidate will possess experience and demonstrated ability to:
- prioritize efficiently in a fast-pace, high-stakes environment, and manage multiple projects effectively;
- use creative solutions to problem-solve matters of high importance;
- utilize high-level organizational skills and methods;
- maintain accurate, up-to-date records, accurately compile and record information and data, determine proper format and procedure for assembling information and data, retrieve requested information and data from various databases and files, and prepare accurate reports;
- effectively use Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word, and learn and master new and emerging systems and technologies;
- trouble-shoot technology and systems;
- utilize experience and sound judgment in discharging duties;
- maintain the utmost level of confidentiality;
- establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others; and
- give direction to employees and outside entities as to Human Resources policies, procedures, and forms.
Source of Funding: State Funded
Estimated Salary Range: $47,000.00-$52,000.00
Area of Assignment: Human Resources
Supervisor: Director of Human Resources
Anticipated Start Date: Fall 2019
BCC is committed to providing an inclusive learning and working environment that values the diverse backgrounds of all people and encourages applications from individuals whose experiences and perspectives model the opportunities and success derived from a college education.
Berkshire Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, military service, and national origin in its education programs or employment. All inquiries concerning application of the above should be directed to Melissa Loiodice, Director of Human Resources, Affirmative Action Officer, and Coordinator of Title IX and Section 504, at 413-499-4660, ext. 1022, Susan B. Anthony Annex Building, Room A19.
Application Procedures: To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three current professional references by visiting the employment section of our website at www.berkshirecc.edu/employment.
Application Closing Date: Open until Filled. Applications will be reviewed beginning September 16, 2019.