Bachelor’s degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience), plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Ability to acquire a Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities For This Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Surface Ship Infrastructure Network Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
Representative Duties and Tasks
- Work within a team of Systems Network Engineers.
- Interface across teams within the Surface Ship organization.
- Develop and understand Internet Protocol (IP) Plans.
- Develop and update technical documentation and engineering drawings.
- Troubleshoot emergent production issues remotely and in shipyard environment as required.
- Periodically provide on-site technical support during integration/test or post-delivery activities.
- Contribute to the development and update of program-specific plans and processes.
- Actively participate in Program Change Process.
- Participate in Systems Engineering Integration Team (SEIT) meetings.
- Generate and provide updates to various internal and external status reports.
- Generate, moderate, and support engineering peer reviews.
- Support deliveries and milestones in support of program schedules.
- Develop strong internal and external customer relationships.
- Collaborate and provide support to Systems Network Team Lead and other professionals within the Engineering department.
- Support Technical Manager when conducting Quarterly Check In (QCIs), performance feedback, staffing/recruiting efforts, etc.
- Travel may be required approximately 25%.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Familiarity with technical standards.
- Very solid knowledge of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories.
- Very solid awareness of business objective and Engineering role in achieving.
- Very solid knowledge of requirements management and system modeling tools.
- Ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and able to handle more complex assignments.
- Self-starter with the ability to execute tasking with minimum supervision.
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment, and professionally executes projects with little direction.
- Familiarity with technical standards.
- Very solid proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Exercises creative thinking and ideation to advance business performance.
- Delivers innovative, flexible, integrated solutions to meet customers’ changing business needs.
- The ability to work well in a team environment, including forming strong working relationships with program leadership.
- Creative and resourceful approach to problem solving and assisting lesser-experienced teammates with solutions.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Very solid skills in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions.
- Ability to clearly recognize and report status relevant to sound systems engineering design.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- The ability to identify and resolve needs before issues arise.
- The ability to take projects to full completion.
- Desire to learn and improve current/future technology and processes.
- Familiarity with Agile principles, processes, and tools.
Preferred Degree Types and Experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Network Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with Switch, Firewall, and IDS configurations.
- Experience with Internal and External Change Processes.
- Experience with Cable Block Diagrams, Wire Connection Lists, and other Drawing Types.
- Experience with Requirements Development and Management.
- Experience with Problem Report tracking and processes.
- Experience with IBM Rational tools such as DOORS and Change.
- Technical writing and presentation experience.
- Experience with network testing and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with other shipboard systems such as Navigation, Sea Frame, Aviation, Combat, Communications, etc.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high-technology solutions, products, and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment, and transparency. We offer highly-competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high-performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran