Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required, plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance is preferred. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities For This Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Project Manager to join our team. Within GDMS, our Strategic Systems business area designs, delivers, and sustains physical and electronic security systems for the United States Department of Defense for use in high-consequence environments. Our team of talented engineers and project leads work directly with our customers at multiple sites across the country, including at our GDMS locations, in Washington DC, Pittsfield MA, and at customer field sites. The selected candidate will lead skilled, collaborative teams to manage the cost, technical, and schedule execution of the activation and support of complex US Navy security systems.
In addition to receiving a competitive salary and generous health and personal benefits, selected candidates will enhance their skill set by working among a talented and technically-accomplished group of colleagues. The employee will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded.
As aspiring leaders, General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) believes there are several enabling behaviors which will influence your success. These behaviors will also serve as leading indicators of likely success (or difficulty), and will be used by your manager in evaluating your performance and growth as a leader, and will serve to build trust from your teams, your customer, and the organization.
These behaviors are:
- Develop yourself.
- Develop others.
- Be a team player.
- Communicate effectively.
- Develop and sustain the relationships you need to be successful.
- Shape culture and positively impact the morale, motivation, and engagement of those around you.
- Operate at the right level and deliver on your commitments.
- Think and act strategically.
- Confront reality.
- Take reasonable, managed risks.
- It is expected the successful candidate will utilize these tenets so they can build on their own essential skills and traits.
Representative Duties And Tasks
Under the mentorship of experienced Program Managers, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible and accountable for the complete performance of contracts in their care. They will coordinate across engineering, manufacturing, contracts, subcontracts, and finance teams to ensure the successful execution (on cost and schedule) of multiple projects at any given time.
They will also support the Program Managers and Business Segment Director by planning and monitoring financial commitments made by the business segment to General Dynamics Mission Systems including workload/orders/sales/earnings forecasting, and material planning. Additionally, a Senior Project Manager will support the development of new scope proposals to the Customer.
Candidates must demonstrate strong leadership behaviors, a sophisticated understanding of budget management, and the ability to successfully manage, grow, and evolve General Dynamics Mission Systems programs. Must also have a strong desire to learn and grow as a Project or Program Manager, and a willingness to take on new challenges.
- Develops, defines, and implements cohesive plans that achieve contract requirements and move toward long-term program objectives.
- Identifies needed resources for projects, defines and assigns major program roles.
- Leads the establishment of and sets integrated WBS-based budget and schedule baselines.
- Balances program risks and opportunities with executable strategies to meet technical requirements and budgets.
- Sets financial forecasts and is responsible for delivering profit and cash flow from products/programs.
- Interfaces with leadership and customers on both technical and programmatic matters.
- Identifies scope changes and develops product/program positions for equitable cost and schedule adjustments.
- Develops customer relationships and develops new business within the market/program.
- Travel will be required up to 15%.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to motivate, lead a matrixed team, and communicate complex ideas clearly.
- Ability to understand and analyze program financial data.
- Skilled in proactively communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions on programs to internal and external representatives.
- Proficiency in MS Project to manage an Integrated Master Schedule.
- Ability to evaluate quality of work product to ensure satisfaction of customer requirements.
- Ability to lead others in team building, conflict resolution, motivation, leadership, and advanced risk management.
Preferred Degree Types And Experience
- Knowledge of industry standard finance, contracting, and subcontracting processes.
- Proficiency using program management tools, including understanding requirements and reporting through Earned Value Management System (EVMS) toolsets.
- Demonstrated experience in a matrixed organization, motivating non-direct reports to meet program objectives.
- Experience with the US Navy and Strategic Systems Programs or a similar process-driven, demanding client is preferred.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high-technology solutions, products, and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment, and transparency. We offer highly-competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high-performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran