Summary of Position
Promotes the public awareness, understanding, acceptance, and support of Berkshire United Way’s brand, including its mission, goals and objectives in order to increase revenue. Increases the organization’s visibility by educating, engaging and interacting with the community and key constituents. Promotes Berkshire United Way’s role as an essential community leader. Responsible for year-round communications efforts, including management of social media and media relations.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Acts as a steward of the Berkshire United Way brand and a communications resource, providing year-round visibility for BUW.
- Monitors major change in the marketplace and provides strategic direction for marketing and communications.
- Ensures the development, implementation, and evaluation of communication efforts designed to both speak and listen to all significant segments of the community.
- Develops and implements year-round marketing and communications plan which includes story-telling to demonstrate Berkshire United Way’s impact.
- Creates and manages annual marketing budget for the organization; solicits bids, contracts for and manages services from outside vendors.
- Researches, tests and implements new communication techniques and materials.
- Serves as content manager/copywriter and posts to website, social media platforms, organizational publications (e-newsletter, annual report, campaign collateral and other marketing materials) ensuring brand compliance and consistency.
- Responsible for maintenance of photography and audio-visual productions; maintains files of photographic materials.
- Manages the organization’s annual event calendar.
Media/Community Relations Programs Responsibilities:
- Maintains frequent contact with area print, broadcast, and on-line media outlets to improve the quality and depth of coverage of Berkshire United Way.
Special Events Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance and support for Berkshire United Way fundraising events and other public functions as required.
- Responsible for communications aspects of events including production of printed materials such as invitations, programs; develops event talking points/messaging, and post-event debriefings, with recommendations for improvement.
Schedule Flexibility and Travel Requirement:
- Requires flexible schedule in order to attend events that may occur in the early morning, evening, and weekends.
- Travel to various companies and/or agencies is required within and outside Berkshire County. Employee must have valid driver’s license and availability of a motor vehicle.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or Public Relations.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a related field with public relations, writing and editing background while demonstrating the ability to manage multiple projects and operate in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated experience in design, layout and production of marketing communications materials.
- Knowledge of organizational branding, including public relations and communications strategies.
- Knowledge of design and layout techniques for on-line and print media.
- Ability to research, identify and execute best practices for creative marketing and communication strategies.
- Relationship management focus with demonstrated experience in media and customer relations.
- Experience in managing special fundraising and/or community relations events.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office products (especially PowerPoint) and graphic design software.
- Excellent communication (oral, written and listening) and interpersonal skills required, as well as experience delivering presentations.
- Ability to ghostwrite, initiating content, as well as to edit and proofread.
- Proven time management, planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, to be part of a team and to meet deadlines.