- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required. Related experience and or training is desirable.
- Due to the nature of work performed at our facilities, US citizenship is required.
Responsibilities For This Position
Summary: Build, solder, wire, and verify repair and production Guidance hardware, working to close tolerances and adhering to strict process and quality requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities: (Include the following, but are not limited to)
- Join critical, very costly, mechanisms while adhering to clean room and controlled area requirements where the basic assembly processes require precise part relationship and complicated adjustments and measurements.
- The process is further complicated by having many delicate parts with close tolerances and very rigid quality demands.
- Standardization is limited, requiring interpretation of planning and instructions in a considerable scope of work having a high content of rework.
- The assembly/wire operator will be required to exercise continual mental-visual concentration and considerable responsibility.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, performing special torque sequences, verification of their own and others’ processes, maintaining the work area per clean room requirements, cleaning of parts as required by customer directives, performing sophisticated bonding processes, minor ident, deburr, soldering, and wiring, tie/untie operations, and verification of assembly/wire through simple test/measurement procedures.
- Additional duties include complicated system-level balance operations, completion of extensive paperwork and/or computer entry of data to maintain detailed configuration records, and control of various special and standard tools required for all related operations.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required.
Mathematical skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute ratios, percent, and interpret graphs.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively with other employees of the organization.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form. Ability to question instructions when they are unclear.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Fork Truck Certification
- ESD Handling Certification
- Work Saver Usage Training
- Crane Operator Training
- Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping Training
- Security Clearance when required
- Solder and wire certification including visual acuity and color perception tests
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties on this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and climb stairs and/or to use hands to finger, handle and feel; reach with hands and arms; climb and balance; and talk and hear for a work day. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds without mechanical assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to some variations in work area temperature, moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high-technology solutions, products, and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment, and transparency. We offer highly-competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high-performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
About GDMS Pittsfield, MA
Come work for General Dynamics Mission Systems in beautiful Berkshire County, located on the western edge of Massachusetts. The Berkshires are very family friendly with excellent schools. The housing market is very affordable compared to surrounding larger cities. General Dynamics provides exceptional salaries compared to other employers in Berkshire County which provides a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family.
The surrounding area is a cultural center for arts and theater, including established venues such as Tanglewood, Mass Museum of Contemporary Art, The Clark and the Norman Rockwell Museum, to name a few. Berkshire County is also an outdoors person’s dream location, with multiple lakes, nearby ski locations, golf courses and even the Appalachian Trail. Being part of New England, western Massachusetts also boasts four distinct and enjoyable seasons, from the comfortable summer months to the colorful fall and pristine winters.
As a small city with surrounding rural towns, Pittsfield has a reasonable cost of living and relaxing short commutes without giving up modern life amenities. We are centrally located in the northeast, providing easy access to all of the attractions New England can offer, such as Boston and New York City, which are both less than a 3-hour drive away.
The Berkshires are Calling!