Jacob’s Pillow seeks a Human Resources Manager (a new position) who works closely with the staff and management team to plan, implement, and administer policies relating to all phases of human resources activity including recruitment, orientation, training, workplace satisfaction, and professional development. Operating year-round with an intense 10-week summer season where most personnel work a 6-day week, Jacob’s Pillow strives to maintain a productive, diverse, high-performance, and goal-oriented supportive work culture for its 40 year-round and up to 100 seasonal employees. Staff have the opportunity to work among world-class artists in a creative atmosphere along with the advantages of being able to attend performances and participate in a renowned artistic culture.
- Develops and maintains a human resources system that meets top management needs. Participates in long-term planning for human resources.
- Oversees accurate and complete maintenance of all personnel records according to federal and state guidelines. Develops and produces statistical and analytical reports required by governmental agencies, and organizational planning.
- Provides accurate and approved data to the Finance department for authorizing the approved payroll, and maintains accurate compensation data, required record keeping, changes in employee status, etc.
- Administers new-hire, orientation, and termination processes.
- With support from the Accounting & HR Coordinator, administers all benefits programs such as: health & life insurance, retirement, disability, flexible-spending plan, EAP, vacation, etc.; informs employees of changes in the programs and assists them with any questions or problems they may have.
- Administers and monitors the salary administration program, keeping all job descriptions and grade levels current to maintain fair pay for all employees. Develops position descriptions and grades for new positions with department heads and Deputy Director.
- Assists supervisors with annual, introductory, and periodic evaluations to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the organization. Assists with annual salary review during budget preparation time.
- Implements, interprets, clarifies, or amplifies, when needed, the personnel policy for the employees in accordance with the intent of the policy and organization. Keeps policy current with federal and state laws of fair employment.
- Provides for adequate and efficient employment levels across the organization. In conjunction with supervisors, writes and submits all recruitment advertisements to appropriate publications and other outlets. Coordinates the system for receipt of all applications and resumes, conducts preliminary interviews when appropriate, writes rejection letters, and oversees the offering of letters of employment.
- Plans and conducts new employee orientation and onboarding to foster a positive attitude toward the organization’s mission, goals, and values.
- Coordinates management training in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, safety, and harassment. Together with the Archives and other staff, provides for ongoing training for entire staff relating to the history of Jacob’s Pillow and the scope of its programs.
- Oversees the summer intern program, and orientation and training for all seasonal staff.
- Develops professional development opportunities for interns and administrative fellows.
- Provides for good employee relations through staff communications and staff get-togethers.
- Consults and advises management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Conducts wage surveys within labor market to determine competitive wage rates.
- Represents the Pillow at community forums and applicable events.
- With the Deputy Director, facilitates a staff task force on inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA).
- Provides staff support to a Board Committee focused on Human Resource policies and issues.
- Bachelor’s degree with HR program certificate; or five-to-seven years’ related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Human Resource Information Systems and job application programs.
- Strong understanding of and experience in the interviewing process, benefits administration, payroll, and other HR functions.
- Extensive recruiting experience.
- Training in and/or experience in crafting job descriptions and writing policies.
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- Training certification.
- A passion for the arts and knowledge of dance.
- Experience in a nonprofit and/or performing arts organization.
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent planning and communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership accomplishments.
Please email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with HR Manager in the subject line.
All inquiries and materials will be confidential. Please do not mail hard copies.