Bousquet Ski Area has a current opening for a General Manager to join our team. This is a critical role that will oversee the full operation of the ski area.
Bousquet Ski Area is located in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in the heart of Berkshire County. It is a historic mountain with a long legacy of innovation. The ski area’s innovations include the rope tow gripper which protects the arms and hands of skiers, which Bousquet marketed and sold 500,000 units. It also partnered with General Electric’s Pittsfield Plant to outfit the mountain with floodlights installed on poles in 1936 to illuminate runs, introducing the concepts of night skiing and snowmaking. It is a ski area with a variety of terrain that has produced five Olympian skiers over the years, offering challenging race runs and beginner terrain alike. Purchased in 2020 by Mill Town, a local impact-investment group, Bousquet is in the process of a significant capital upgrade with the goal of re-positioning the mountain as a safe, fun, accessible, family-friendly skiing experience.
The General Manager (GM) has overall responsibility for the financial success, operations, safety, risk management, and customer satisfaction of Bousquet Ski Area and its operations. The GM will lead the hiring process and supervise all senior personnel and departments (Ski School, Racing, Ski Patrol, Rentals, Mountain Operations (including Lifts, Maintenance, and Snowmaking), Marketing, Bookkeeping, Food Service, and Group Sales) and is the primary liaison with the ownership of Bousquet. The GM oversees day-to-day operations during the open snow sports season, providing “hands-on” support as needed, and is responsible for planning, budgeting, capital improvements, and other projects, usually in the spring, summer, and fall months. The GM provides vision
and leadership to continuously improve, and will be a critical leader in establishing a culture of customer-service, family-friendly, safe, and fun operations at Bousquet.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the ski area and food service business.
- Hire and manage key department heads as referenced above.
- Work with department heads to recruit, hire, and inspire a safety-focused staff with excellent guest services and efficient maintenance.
- Develop key metrics and reports to evaluate performance of the ski area relative to goals and objectives set with ownership and partners.
- Drive customer satisfaction through overseeing customer interaction and engagement through ticket sales and group outings. Acknowledge and respond to customer concerns in a professional and positive manner.
- Support the development and implementation of marketing strategy in conjunction with 3rd party agency.
- Evaluate legacy programs and deals to determine if they are value-adds to the operation.
- Oversee Snow Sports operations including ski school, ski patrol, and race teams.
- Understand and oversee maintenance/lift operations and snowmaking strategy to ensure a safe and enjoyable customer experience while managing process and efficiency.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships and represent the organization to outside vendors, contractors, business and community groups, as well as local, state, and federal government agencies.
- Responsible for ensuring the mountain meets all regulatory and inspection requirements for safe ski operation and food service.
- Liaison with partner organizations; develop synergies and effective programs across collaborating groups.
- Build a culture of excellence with a customer service focus through establishing a respected hiring process, employee training, and team building.
- Acts as the face and voice of Bousquet Ski Area in the community.
- Must have the ability to interact at any time with guests and other employees in a pleasant manner and maintain good working relationships with others and all department heads and employees.
- Maintains positive, productive, and solution-oriented relationships with all key stakeholders, including partners and ownership.
- Maintains a positive, productive, and solution-oriented relationships with applicable regulatory bodies and government entities.
- Ten or more years of General Management experience with P&L oversight responsibility for a cross section of functions and departments.
- Ski industry experience preferred, while other industry experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated track record of performance in a customer-service focused business with matrix operation.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience building a high-performing team and culture.
- Entrepreneurial mindset.
- Relentless focus on customer satisfaction.
- People-person, comfortable interacting with customers and staff through a myriad of issues.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently and in areas of ambiguity with little guidance.
- A demonstrated professional integrity and level of comfort making frequent decisions.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Great attitude, fun, team player.
- An intellectual curiosity and inquisitiveness – comfortable asking questions that lead to better results.
- Not satisfied with status-quo – a creative thinker.
- Desire to make an impact.
- Compensation and benefits package based on experience and qualifications.
About Mill Town
Mill Town’s mission is to expand and improve the quality and quantity of opportunities to live, work, and play in the Berkshires. Founded in 2016, Mill Town is a Berkshire County-based impact investment firm. Mill Town invests in businesses and real estate in the City of Pittsfield and across the region. To improve neighborhoods, Mill Town acquires and renovates properties in clusters to increase the number of high-quality residential housing options, commercial businesses, and to improve the city’s aesthetic. The company also supports a wide variety of community development initiatives focused on outdoor recreation enhancement and supporting the region’s many cultural and non-profit assets. For more information, please visit milltowncapital.com.
Candidates can submit resumes to email@example.com.