The mission of Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation is to strengthen communities through philanthropy and leadership. We offer donors, nonprofits, and community groups the tools and expertise to achieve their philanthropic vision and goals, and identify critical areas where the foundation can leverage its relationships and leadership for lasting impact. Founded in 1987 in Salisbury, Conn., Berkshire Taconic serves Berkshire County, Mass.; Columbia and northeast Dutchess County, N.Y.; and northwest Litchfield County, Conn. In all, we serve the residents of 70 towns and three cities across three states, within a 2,200-square mile region.
Like most community foundations, Berkshire Taconic offers a variety of fund types that allow donors and community groups to build charitable resources and make grants and other awards over time to achieve their philanthropic goals. BTCF has also proactively established funds to address a specific issue in our region or to develop permanent charitable resources to serve a set of communities. This has resulted in the creation and growth of 11 area funds, 33 education enrichment funds that serve every public school district in our region, and special initiatives to address regional challenges. As we enter our fourth decade, we are expanding our reach and focusing on a set of strategic priorities where we believe philanthropy can make a measurable difference.
In total, the foundation manages more than 550 funds with a combined $160 million in assets that together make over $8 million in grants and other awards each year. BTCF is a learning organization that embraces a culture of high performance, transparency and flexibility. All staff participate in professional development activities on an ongoing basis and work cooperatively as a team. We are respectful of each other, the volunteer board and committees that guide our work, and the nonprofits and donors who are our vital partners in improving lives across the region. More information can be found at www.berkshiretaconic.org.
The Finance Associate supports the smooth operations of the foundation through accurate recording and documenting of financial transactions, maintaining and analyzing records, providing survey and financial reporting, and undertaking special projects that support our financial operations. The ideal candidate will bring a positive attitude and experience in accounting and Excel, as well as a desire to learn and improve our processes. This position reports to the Controller and will work with other team members in the finance department, as well as provide backup to gifts, grantmaking, and operations staff.
The successful Finance Associate will help BTCF grow through:
- Accurate and timely recording of grants, administrative payables, and payroll.
- Effective recording and reporting of surveys, dashboards, and other reports.
- Maintenance of accurate financial and other database records.
- Contributions to improved processes and procedures.
- Enters invoices and prepares weekly disbursements, coordinates recording and payment of corporate credit card transactions, maintains vendor records, and oversees IRS 1099 recording and reporting.
- Prepares daily electronic bank deposits and assists with donor identification of contributions.
- Assists with account reconciliations and prepares journal entries.
- Reviews due diligence on grants to individuals, processes grants between foundation funds.
- Assists with preparation of materials for the annual audit and 990 tax filing.
- Supports development and maintenance of operating and program budgets and forecasts in Excel.
- Provides coverage and backup for gifts, grants, and operations staff.
- Updates procedures and recommends improvements to financial processes.
- Completes surveys and maintains data for monthly and quarterly dashboard reports using Infogram.
- Processes quarterly fund statements.
- Provides monthly operating reports to staff.
- Prepares investment reports and updates investment data on website and DonorCentral.
Data Management, Surveys:
- Runs reports and works with other staff to ensure accuracy of database information.
- Assists with data entry, coding changes, and data pulls/extractions.
- Provides backup for the Gifts and Grants Coordinators.
- Provides backup to the Administrative Manager during vacations and other absences.
- Maintains department projects and timelines in Asana.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or financial management.
- Two years’ experience in a related or comparable position; nonprofit experience preferred.
- Experience working with databases and financial information, including reporting and data analysis, as well as demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
The ideal candidate will possess and have demonstrated the following attributes and skills:
- A positive attitude and desire to work with a team to provide high-quality services.
- Able to process many transactions accurately.
- Experience in AP AR and GL accounting.
- Comfortable learning new technology and using software programs.
- Well organized and at ease with multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Desire to learn and improve processes.
Commensurate with experience and skills. Benefits include health, dental, life, disability, paid vacation, sick leave, and contribution to 403(b) plan.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.