Crane & Co has spent over 200 years as one of the most important companies in the country and we are now about to embark on the next 200. With innovation at the heart of our DNA, we are now building an agile multi-disciplinary team to do so. As part of a clean slate, we are going to be defining our software engineering structure & future with the aim to create an award-winning web, mobile, and voice product experience.
We are currently recruiting for leaders who are looking for a unique challenge to shape the future of an industry, be part of history and create amazing new tech. Our Director of Engineering will be a leader/owner within the company helping balance work between strategy and execution to build the organization, technology, and people within Crane. With a strong sense of ownership working collaboratively with other senior management across design, marketing, and product, they must help coach the business and teams into modern agile, data-driven business practices that are design-focused solutions for internal and external users.
- You have experience in building hybrid internal and external teams from the ground up through to fully-functioning pods/crews
- Experience growing and leading engineering teams with the ability to recognize growth needs, managing senior members, and delegating work when required
- The ability to research and deliver new technologies to platforms
- Experience working within a web-to-manufacturing e-commerce environment/business
- The ability and drive help teams and individuals develop their skills further within the company
- Vast experience working with data-driven teams to improve site, marketing, and visibility of the company
- Experience in working with and growing a modern agile environment/work process
- Strong architectural capability and an understanding of DDD, TDD, CI/CD and the advantages they can bring to a product-led organization
- Experience of managing, using, and implementing Megento 2 platforms to create industry-leading services and sites
- You will have experience with assessing and making choices on the right software, languages, and processes needed to deliver including and not limited to: Magento 2, Jira/Atlassian, Agile, AWS, Java, Python, HTML, Microsoft/Outlook solutions and React. We are not dictating any elements of the future technology roadmap but familiarity with existing elements will help you plot the future path
- Most importantly you care about working in and developing a modern organization/business that cares about its employees
- You will be the leader of technology in the company, creating the transition between the old and new to make Crane forward thinking
- Delivering research and execution on platform operations, IT support and data working directly with the Director of IT
- Vast experience of recruiting and growing efficient and engaged agile teams that are both internal and remote
- You will be accountable for defining the future proprietary technology needed to deliver the new Crane experience and to future proof the business
- Adept at balancing the day-to-day whilst being able to deliver on long-term vision
- Internal and external tech leader at Crane to guide the company and attract future talent and partnerships
- Workload and headcount planning balanced with budgeting for your area
- Responsible for researching, reviewing, and negotiating with platform vendors to grow and amplify Crane’s position quickly
- You will be responsible for growing, mentoring, and managing Crane’s first engineering team to compete with other brands within the industry
- You must be able to build and maintain engineering excellence making sure that we have good fire prevention and firefighting actions in place
- To be a mentor to departments within Crane to help grow other areas of the business and support with tech-based solutions
Other & Nice to Have
- The ability to build a wider tech industry-based network
- Experience in a fast-paced .com environment
- A passion or experience or understanding of print and craft
- Experience with manufacturing and the Lean process
- Understanding of type, typography, and other graphics services
Celebrating individuality, style and craftsmanship
At Crane & Co, we pride ourselves on helping our customers make their own individual mark on the world. Whether designing custom stationery that becomes your signature, forging new business connections with a stylish stack of business cards, or staying in touch with loved ones with handwritten notes, our expert printers are there to help you create lasting memories – just like they’ve been for 200 years.
The principles that guide our work are anything but ordinary
In today’s increasingly-digital world, it is often the humble handwritten card that stands out. We aim to elevate the simple act of sending a note from out-of-the-ordinary to absolutely extraordinary. Through principles like beautiful design, expert printing techniques and excellent service, we help our customers form connections that matter.
Innovation is written into our DNA
Since its founding in 1801, Crane’s stationery has crossed the desks of America’s finest figures, from Paul Revere to President Roosevelt. And while we embrace our history as an original American Maker, we are also looking towards our future. From investing in cutting-edge technology to creating new products, we want to continue to help our customers leave their mark through the timeless craft of the handwritten note. It’s an exciting time at Crane & Co, and our employees will have the chance to shape our vision for the future. Our legacy of craftsmanship will follow us always, but what comes with it will be up to you.
Engineering: 5 years (Preferred)
United States (Preferred)