The Business Administrator reports to the Superintendent of Schools, and supervises and evaluates the Director of Buildings & Grounds, the Director of Food Services, and Business Office staff.
To be considered qualified for this position, candidates must have the following:
- Licensed or eligible for licensure as a School Business Administrator by the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Educational Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance, preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ relevant experience in budget development and financial analysis, with knowledge of finance/business management and general accounting principles. Demonstrated leadership in school or municipal financial management preferred.
- Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing official (or must become certified within 2 years of employment).
- Proficiency in computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite. Proficiency in accounting software applications (Infinite Visions preferred).
- Integrity, strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills required.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and in conformity with state certification requirements.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Leads the planning and implementation process for developing the annual operating, special revenue funds, and capital budgets, which reflect district priorities. Prepares budget, financial analyses, documents and reports of school department programs. Assists in system-wide strategic and long-range planning. Maintains and updates budget database.
- Serves as principal advisor to the School Committee and Superintendent in matters related to all financial management and planning activities. Provides appropriate reports on a regular basis and as requested. Directs the financial, physical, and management resources of the school district to support the attainment of established goals and objectives.
- Serves as Chief Procurement Officer. Approves purchase orders and invoices for payment. Directs the competitive bid process and oversees vendor contracts.
- Supervises the directors and monitors activity in the transportation, buildings and grounds, and food service programs, and oversees state and federal regulations of same.
- Plans, develops, directs, coordinates, and maintains an integrated financial program for the school district, which supports the School Committee and Superintendent’s commitment to an effective financial management and long-range planning program. Assists the Superintendent in establishing district goals and objectives as a contributing member of the Administrative Cabinet.
- Assures that the accounting system is in compliance with state, federal, and local laws as well as with sound accounting principles (chart of accounts, student activities, grants, revolving funds, operating, capital).
- Performs detailed accounting work such as accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, account analysis, and resulting journal entries, recording of receipts, and other accounting functions.
- In conjunction with the Administrative Team, develops the annual budget and participates in communicating same to the School Committee, town officials, faculty and staff, taxpayers, and other constituencies.
- Monitors the monthly budget; prepares monthly financial reports to schools and to the Superintendent and School Committee; prepares quarterly projections and periodic analyses as requested by the Superintendent.
- Prepares state and federal financial reports in support of grants and compliance requirements and supports the annual audit process.
- Assists with all collective bargaining activities, including preparing financial analysis and explanation of proposals.
- Manages and monitors administration and operation of the finance, payroll, human resources, transportation, food service, and buildings & grounds programs.
- Other duties as required.
Valid CORI is required. Suitable “fingerprinting” results are required before employment can begin.
Employment Start Date
July 1, 2020
February 5, 2020
Open Until Filled
Apply via SchoolSpring or mail to the attention of:
Superintendent, Southern Berkshire Regional School District
PO Box 339
Sheffield, MA 01257