Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience), plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for an Alteration and Installation Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
Representative Duties and Tasks
- Develops and supports authoring of Alterations, Installation ODs, Field Change Orders (FCOs), etc.
- Supports design reviews for broader engineering (Systems, Mechanical, etc.) as well as to include installation perspectives.
- Supports program meetings representing the Field engineering Group (IPT Meetings, DDTs, etc).
- Works closely with the IPTs, Program Team, and Field Site teams to solve issues.
- Drives closure to contractual and incentivized document deliveries.
- Reads and understands mechanical and electrical drawings.
- Reads and understands Fleet Documentation.
- Exercises creative thinking and ideation to advance our business performance.
- Delivers innovative, flexible, integrated solutions to meet changing business needs.
- Aids in the creation and adjustment of production kit structures.
- Executes the test approach and documents system verification through the engineering development lifecycle.
- Develops test and diagnostic procedures.
- Develops and conducts functional, environmental, operational and/or performance tests on hardware, software, and systems.
- Isolates and documents issues and defects.
- Assists in development of proposals as they arise.
- Has some latitude in technical objectives of assignments; typically works under limited direction.
- Supports installations of equipment at forward sites, as required.
- Follows direction and is accountable for the successful completion of tasks, thereby making a significant contribution to the team.
- Receives direction from supervisor on technical objectives of assignments.
- Frequent contact with multiple work groups.
- Demonstrates understanding of commitments and interdependencies.
- Travel may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses strong mechanical aptitude.
- Possesses strong database development and/or understanding.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and electrical drawings and interfaces.
- Working Knowledge of Ground / Power Troubleshooting Techniques.
- Familiarity with technical standards.
- Basic understanding of Configuration Management.
- Considerable knowledge in use and understanding of test engineering concepts, principles, and theories.
- Takes initiative in proposing ideas, soliciting input, and optimizing solutions.
- Considerable ability to promote ideas that enhance productivity and efficiency.
- Willingly considers new ideas and perspectives; eager to learn and grow professionally.
- Considerable knowledge in Microsoft Office applications.
- Considerable written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Good at multi-tasking.
- Considerable ability to communicate issues and alternatives clearly.
- Team player who thrives in collaborative environments and revels in team success, meeting and exceeding personal and team commitments.
- Willing to try and promote concepts and ideas to a diverse audience.
Preferred Degree Types and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, computer engineering, information technology, related STEM degree, or equivalent experience.
- Prior Fire Control experience is desired but not required.
- Experience with technical writing is desired but not required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access and/or Microsoft Sharepoint is desired but not required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high-technology solutions, products, and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment, and transparency. We offer highly-competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high-performance team!